Thursday, October 16, 2014

Stand up to workplace stress



Stress in the workplace


We have identified how working for long uninterrupted periods on the computer can lead to muscle stress and fatigue.
For 30 years I worked as a workspace planner with a European office furniture manufacturer, they were one of the first companies to recognize that the workplace contributed to the major reason people got stressed and sick.
We were one of the first companies to use a stand up workstation; these enabled the user to adjust the surface quickly to their desired height and also allowed them the flexibility of movement while working.
Moving to Canada I still adopted these ideas and with the use of laptops and tablets the large work surface was as dead as the dodo.
Also more people were now working from home so space was a precious commodity, thus the stand-up station was a space saver as well as an ergonomic blessing.
I went to the Home depot and bought myself supplies to make my own stand up surface for under $60.

Stand up work surface
I still had my sit down desk, albeit much smaller, but throughout the day I alternated between the 2 work surface, this gave me the exercise I needed and allowed me to use different muscle sets throughout the day. Resulting in, less fatigue, less stress and a more 
productive day.
Whilst I still have my heat packs for those days my muscles ache, it is not required for stress relief anymore.
So take a stand against workplace stress.

No comments: